“No story lives unless someone wants to listen” – JK Rowling
This week’s Tuesday quote comes from one of the most (if not the most) successful writers in recent years.The author of the Harry Potter series of children’s books, her stories about the boy wizard have given millions of children joy, and enhanced their lives.
I remember being so excited to have the latest Narnia book bought for me as a child, so I can well relate to the obsession that many children had with the books. I sometimes envy their excitement, as I was an adult, married with a child, when Rowling first published Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (published as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in the US).
Did you know?
- JK Rowling was born Joanne Rowling in Gloucestershire, England, but now resides with her family in Edinburgh, Scotland
- She has no middle name; the letter ‘K’ has been added, and stands for Kathleen, a relative of hers. Her publishers thought that using initials for a boy based series of adventure books would sell better than a female author’s name
- She also works under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, and has written adult books under this name
- Her story is regarded as a modern day “rags to riches.” She went from claiming benefits to billionaire status within 5 years
- She wrote the first Harry Potter book on a train from Manchester to London, then continued the rest in cafes around Edinburgh
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, released on 21 July 2007 is the fastest selling book of all time (11 million copies in one day)
- The series has won numerous awards, including the Nestle Smarties Book Prize; Children’s Book Award and the Hans Christian Anderson Literature Award